It’s hard to believe, but I’ve been blogging here on Readerly Geek for two years! What started out as a photo-filled Tumblr some four years ago is now a fairly respectable blog with actual words (and not just pictures of Disney characters!).
I’m very proud of Readerly Geek. I’ve never managed to stick with a blog for this long before, and while it’s gone through it’s fair share of changes, I have managed to carve out my own little corner of the internet after a lot of trial and error.
After my last hiatus, especially, I feel like I’ve finally figured out the spirit of my blog. For the longest time, I switched between blogging about crafts, books, TV, and whatever geek stuff was popular at the time. I never felt like the blog reflected me or what I wanted to write about though. I was trying to follow the blogging rules and write about things that would get me more views or be helpful to my readers.
That, not surprisingly, didn’t really get me anywhere. My views were higher for a while, maybe, but I was frustrated and burnt out.
Now that I’m blogging about film and Science Fiction and Fantasy books more, I’m loving my blog. Writing about The Terminator films, in particular, reminded me of how much I love talking about movies.
In the past, I would have been discouraged by the low views those movie reviews get, but now, I’m okay with that because I enjoy doing them so much. That’s pretty much been my big lesson for the year: Do what you love. Don’t worry about what the numbers say.
In honor of this big 2nd anniversary and how far Readerly Geek’s come, I thought I’d collect my most popular posts from the last year along with my favorites. There’s a marked difference between them (thanks to Pinterest), but I hope you’ll enjoy taking a look back with me anyway!
Most Popular Posts
- 7 Disney Princess Inspired Amigurumi Patterns
- Big Hero 6 Crochet Round-Up
- Agent Carter, My Grandma, and 1940’s Fashion
- Craft Round-Up ~ May Edition
- Harry Potter Crafts: Five Quick and Easy DIYs
My Favorite Posts
- Agent Carter, My Grandma, and 1940’s Fashion ~ I had so much fun digging through my Grandma’s old photos while prepping for this post. I put a lot of work into it too, though! I even taught myself to repair/retouch old photographs solely for this.
- 10 Things I Learned at My First Comic Con ~ This year, I’ve tried to write more personal posts and this was one of my favorites. I’ve never been quiet about my issues with anxiety, but it felt good to share how that effected attending a Comic Convention.
- Dream Casting Han Solo ~ This was just a blast to write! I was finally able to put some use to the extensive actor database that I keep in my head.
- First Impressions: 12 Monkeys ~ I love writing about TV and Film, and I’m very proud at how I broke down the pilot of 12 Monkeys. This reminds me, I’ve been meaning to get back into writing about TV. . .
- My First Comic ~ I’ve written several personal essays now, but I still like one of my first best of all. Comics are fun to write about–even if it is a bit embarrassing how you got into buying them.
Thanks to everyone who has followed and commented on the blog! It’s a lot more fun to do this with all of you hanging around!
Onto year three. . .
If you’re a blogger, what is one of the most important things you’ve learned over the years?
Image Source: Movie Screencaps