For the past four years, I’ve resolved to read a hundred books every year with the Goodreads Reading Challenge. I’ve been a voracious reader since junior high, but I’m prone to slumps that last weeks on end so the challenge has been instrumental in keeping me reading during those times when I just feel sort of “meh” about the whole thing. Every year, I do cheat a bit to reach one hundred books. I read graphic novels and screenplays. I guess it’s not really cheating, but it feels a bit like it because they’re so much easier and quicker read through than an Epic Fantasy or Biography.
This year, I’m a bit behind on my Goodreads Reading Challenge. Not A LOT behind (two books is nowhere near as bad as nine–which is about how many books I was behind last year at this time). It’s very doable for me to catch up. Still, I am happy to say that I’ve finally completed 25% of my challenge.
In honor of that, I’d thought I’d share some of the best books I’ve read so far this year. I’ve separated them into categories for convenience sake. I am surprised though that I wasn’t able to do a Scifi or Fantasy category. I’ve not read any books in either of those genres worth mentioning. Hopefully, once I reach 50% of my challenge, I’ll have some good speculative fiction books to share.
Favorite Books (So Far) of 2014
- Favorite Book of the Year: The Enchanted by Rene Denfeld
- Favorite Fiction (Or Runner-Up Favorite Book): Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi
- Favorite Non-Fiction: Never Have I Ever (My Life So Far Without a Date) by Katie Heaney
- Favorite Graphic Novel : iZombie V. 1 “Dead to the World”
- Favorite Children’s Book: Rowan Hood by Nancy Springer (I’ve only read one children’s book so far this year so no competition for this one really.)
- Favorite YA: Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge
Do you do a reading challenge? What’s the best book you’ve read this year?